The STAR

Weekly Magazine THE STAR

TERM  

part1

Hak pyung : Kobi, come here.

Kobi : What's up ?

Hak pyung : Sit, down. You`ve got to hear this.

Kobi : Okay. I'm all ears.

◉ Today pop topic - " Volunteering "

1. What do you think volunteering is?

2. Have you ever volunteered?

3. How did you feel after the volunteering was finished?

4. Which would you prefer, volunteering or donating money?

- Conflict ①

Sibling strive to stay out of parents' marital combat

DEAR ABBY: My parents have been married for 60 years. My father has always been physically, verbally and mentally abusive to my mother. My mother is also verbally and mentally abusive to my father.

Because of the violence, Dad is now on probation for two years. They will not divorce or live separately, but continue with their sick relationship. I know we can't help them, but what can we do to save ourselves from being drawn into it? They are both masters at drawing us into it. -- DEVASTATED ADULT CHILDREN OF CRAZY PARENTS

※ Word check

* abusive : 입이 거친

* probation : 보호 관찰

※ Suppose you are 'abby' and try to give 'CHILDREN' advice.

DEAR CHILDREN: As loving, caring children you cannot, at least on some level, avoid being drawn in to some extent. However, it may be less wrenching for you if you consider that both your parents have been getting something out of this sick relationship or it would have ended years ago.

Some people mistake pain and violence for love and passion, and your folks may fall into this category. But if their disfunctional relationship is preventing you from enjoying your own lives, then what you should do is talk about it with a psychotherapist, because at this late date, your father and mother aren't going to change.

※ Word check

* wrench : 비틀기, (이별의) 고통

* disfunctional : 비정상적인

- Conflict ②

Sister pays the price for her brother-in-law's deception

DEAR ABBY: Five years ago, my brother-in-law sent my sister " Rita" and me on an all-expense-paid weekend trip to Canada. He asked me to tell Rita that I had " won" it for outstanding performance at my job and wanted her to accompany me.

To make a long story short, it turned out he did it in order to cheat on my sister. Because we had problems with the arrangements he had made, Rita and I had to return a day early. When she opened her front door and walked in, she caught her husband red-handed.

Ever since that unfortunate incident, Rita has cut off our entire family. She acts as though WE cheated on her, and remains married to this despicable man even though he lives with the other woman.

I don't understand why my sister has pushed away all of the people who love her while maintaining a relationship with a man who cheats on her. I don't know what to do. Any advice? -- MISSING MY SISTER

※ Word check

* to make a long story short : 간단히 말해,

* catch sb red-handed : 현장에서 붙잡다

* despicable : 비열한

※ Suppose you are 'abby' and try to give 'MISSING' advice.

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR MISSING: Your sister may feel that she deserves the treatment she's getting from her husband, or is still hoping that her wandering spouse will return. Because you were part of the deception, she has displaced the anger she should be aiming at her husband and has directed it at you because it is " safer."

Until she finds the strength and courage to accept that her marriage is over, her behavior will probably continue. I'm advising you to go on with your life until she is ready to change hers.

※ Word check

* deception : 사기

--------------------------------------------------------------------

part2

McDonald’s Goes Frugal on Refills

Thirsty McDonald's patrons who need a refill to wash down their hamburger and fries are set to be forced into purchasing a fresh drink, even if all they need is one final sip.

For McDonald's Korea will no longer offer free soda refills at all of its outlets nationwide, citing costs and operational efficiency. The change will take effect June 1.

``It is a strategic business decision we made not only to cut costs, but more particularly to service our customers better,'' company spokeswoman Kim Ju-young said Wednesday.

She said that repeated requests for refills often interrupt service for new customers waiting in long queues to order.

Local McDonald's units do not have self-service drink stations, unlike the limited number of locations that do in other parts of the world. The need for staff attention for every refill has taken a toll on overall efficiency and workflow, according to the burger giant.

The new policy will require customers to choose between a 1,500-won medium size or a 1,700-won large size drink if they're not satisfied with their first cup.

The extra income will boost its overall revenue, which has been recording a two-digit growth since 2006. The world's largest fast food chain as a whole is bucking the recessionary trend, as it reported impressive earnings in the fourth quarter of 2008.

McDonald's Korea is one of the fastest-growing units and it pays 5 percent of its annual sales in royalty to the head office.

The company claims that it isn't mandatory for fast food chains to offer free refills and that the discontinuation would ultimately help McDonald's invest in its other new services.

But the news is upsetting to frequent McDonald's goers.

``Doesn't refilling a cup of soda take about 10 seconds?'' asks Kim Ji-eun, a 27-year-old office worker, who eats the 3,900-won McDonald's lunch meal at least once a week. ``If I have to pay extra for a refill, that means my overall lunch expense is going to go up that much.''

Lim Soo-jung, 31, another patron raised concerns that other fast food chains will follow suit. Lotteria, Burger King and KFC have so far expressed no intention of scrapping their refill service.

``The other companies might soon change their policy. I think it's just a matter of time,'' she said.

※ Word check

* patron : (단골) 손님

* cite : 언급하다

* sip : (음료수) 한모금

* take a toll : 희생의 대가

* goer : 손님. 가는사람

* mandatory : 의무의

※ Comprehension Question

1. Why will McDonald no longer offer free soda refills at all of its outlets?

2. When will McDonald ban refilling free beverage?

3. How much should McDonald's Korea pay money back to the head office?

※ Discussion Question

1. Which fast-food restaurant is your favorite one?

2. How often do you visit the fast-food restaurant?

3. Do you like eating fast-food? If you do, why do you prefer doing it?

otherwise, which food do you prefer eating it?

4. Do you think whether the fast-food is cheaper than other or not?