The STAR

Weekly Magazine THE STAR

Weekly Topics [09-05-30]Police and Protesters

2009.05.28 19:45 조회 수 : 2

TERM  

☈ PART Ⅰ

▣  <This Week's Expression>      ☞    Why don't you sleep on it?

Eun-ju : I’m looking to buy a new car.

Should I get a nice coupe or a cool SUV?

Jong-myeong : Well…why don’t you sleep on it?

Eun-ju : Yeah. That’s a good idea.

I don’t want to rush into anything.

▣  <Couple conversation>

◉ Today pop topic - " Meals "

1. Do you usually have breakfast ? and what food did you eat lastest morning?

2. What do you think about having a modest Western style breakfast - a sandwich and a glass of milk?

3. What's your favorite food ? and tell the reason~

4. What do you think about a Dutch treat?

- Conflict ①

Grandkids become the losers in parents' war with in-laws

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I had a falling-out with his parents last October. We sent them an e-mail in December to let them know we have no desire to keep our children -- ages 5 and 6 -- from them. We feel it is important that they have a good relationship with their grandparents even though we don't.

My in-laws never responded and have made no attempt to see the children. They do send cards to them for holidays and birthdays, however.

While we accept that they want nothing to do with us, the kids keep asking why they don't get to see Nana and Papa anymore. We tell them that Nana and Papa love them very much, but are very busy. My in-laws live just 10 minutes away.

Abby, how do I continue to explain this situation to my children? They have done nothing wrong, and my heart breaks for them. -- DON'T BLAME THE KIDS

※ Word check

* falling-out: a disagreement 불화

※ Suppose you are 'Abby' and try to give ‘DON'T BLAME THE KIDS' advice.

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR DON'T: You are behaving as if the ball is now in your in-laws' court. Continue telling your children that their grandparents love them, and have them pick up the phone and call Nana and Papa. If your in-laws are screening their calls and don't answer, have the children leave a message saying they miss their grandparents and would like to see them. Then the ball will be in their court.

※ Word check

* the ball is in sb's court: it is sb's responsibility to take action next ~가 나서야 할 차례이다

—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—…—

- Conflict ②

Many people wonders single mom's financial problem

DEAR ABBY: I am a single woman in my mid-20s and am in the process of buying my first home. It is a great house and not necessarily a typical " starter"  home.

My issue is many friends and acquaintances keep asking me how much I am purchasing the home for and how can I afford it. I was raised that to ask about someone's financial situation is rude and
intrusive. Am I right, or has this become acceptable? -- VEXED IN TEXAS

※ Word check

* intrusive: something that affects a situation or people's lives in a way that they do not want 결례, 침해

※ Suppose you are 'Abby' and try to give 'VEXED IN TEXAS' advice.

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR VEXED: It's not surprising that someone would be curious. However, you are right. It IS bad manners to ask people what they paid for something.

That's why you are perfectly within your rights to say that you would prefer not to answer and the question makes you uncomfortable.

☈ PART 2

Police and Protesters

Violent protest and brutal crackdown have become another chicken-and-egg dilemma in Korea, one of whose images abroad is street demonstration. 

The police blame protesters for resorting to increasingly violent means of expressing their complaints, while protesters attribute it to law enforcement officers' overreaction and unnecessarily rough handling of them. 

A case in point was the clash in front of the City Hall on May 2, during which people commemorating the anniversary of national candlelight vigil of 2008 hijacked the stage for the "Hi Seoul'' festival, one of the most ambitious tourism-promoting events prepared by the capital city. 

Aside from the legality of their behavior, it was an accident that made all neutral observers doubt the good sense of protesters. Organizers of the commemorative rally say they couldn't help encroaching upon the space, as the police refused to permit them any for their event. But such an excuse cannot free them from criticism not least because a democracy calls for its constituents to respect other people's rights as their own. 

Likewise, the demonstrators should refrain themselves from exercising violence, however hard it may prove to be. Resorting to violent means erodes any popular support even for their otherwise justifiable causes, while providing an excuse for the police to conduct brutal crackdowns. So the biggest enemies of any protests could be the habitual users of violent methods among their participants.

That said, the police tactics leave considerable room for debate. The law enforcement authorities, which also include the prosecution, apparently are acting like “once-bitten-twice-shy'' victims of last year's prolonged public protests. Hence their extremely tight application of the Act on Assembly and Demonstration, which itself is subject to controversy on possible violation of the Constitution that guarantees the public's right to hold meetings and express their opinions.  

So much so that the police arrested any group of two or more people who chanted _ anti-government _ slogans and waved flags last weekend. They also reportedly haven't approved any application for assembly by progressive groups in recent months. 

Such a total blockage of all assemblies critical of the government brings us to the 1970s and '80s, during which any criticism of the government was reason for autonomous imprisonment. Government officials and conservative media attack protesters against heavy-handed rule as anachronistic, but there was never a time over the past two decades or so that reminded people of the rules under general-turned-presidents than now, as far as the freedom of expression is concerned. 

When the ruling elite try to close all outlets for oppressed complaints of the general public, increasingly feeling alienated in a society of a rapidly widening gap of wealth, its eventual explosion will be far more violent, damaging and long-lasting. President Lee Myung-bak and the governing Grand National Party need to know Korea could become like, say, Greece or Thailand, if they fail to let people vent their disgruntlement effectively. 

Albert Camus, describing the birth of republican political system, once said, "The people opted for disorder instead of social injustice.'' The French novelist's saying should be a wake-up call for any government that has to nip any critical rallies in the bud.

※ Word check

* crackdown 1. 갑자기 후려침, 단속 2. 탄압

* vigil 철야

* rally 대집회

* encroach 1. 침략하다, 침해하다, 빼앗다   2. 침식하다

* prosecution 기소, 수행

* refrain 그만두다, 삼가다

* resort (최후의 수단으로서 보통 바람직하지 않은 수단에) 호소하기

* anachronistic 시대착오의, 시대에 뒤진

* disgruntlement 불만

※ Comprehension Question

1. What happened at the City hall on May 2 ?

2. Why people protest ?

3. What did Albert Camus said describing the birth of republican political system ?

※ Discussion Question

1. Are you on the protestant's side or opposite or neutral? Explain why.

2. What solutions can be suggested in this case ?

3. Have you ever participated in any rally ?

번호 TERM 제목

등록된 글이 없습니다.