The STAR

Weekly Magazine THE STAR

Weekly Topics [09-06-20] Small talk and big discussions

2009.06.22 22:33 조회 수 : 14

TERM  

☈ PART Ⅰ

☞ I blew it.

Soo-Young : My exams are finally over.

Seul-Ki : What a relief! I'm having a vacation.

Soo-Young : How did your exam go?

Seul-Ki : It's the easiest test I've ever taken.

Soo-Young : Me, too. Well, why the long face, Dong-Jin?

Dong-Jin : I don't want to talk about it, I blew it.

Seul-Ki : Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!

◉ Today pop topic - " Korean war "

1. What do you think was the cause of the Korean war?

2. Half of all South Korean teenagers don't know well about Korean war.

How do you feel about it?

3. Do you think peaceful reunification of Korea is possible? why do you think that?

4. What will you do if a second Korean war breaks out? (To be more specific)

- Conflict ①

New husband clings tightly to his old bachelor habits

DEAR ABBY: " Ralph" and I have been married a little over a year. It's the second marriage for both of us. We were both single for six years after our divorces, so we had time to become independent.

Ralph still spends his evenings and weekends the way he did when he was a bachelor. He stays in the garage and watches TV alone. We have talked about it, set up family time, and even bought the large-screen TV he wanted for the living room, but still he hides out in the garage. He comes in only to eat and use the bathroom.

I know Ralph loves me and our new family, but this is causing strain. I have two children from my last marriage, and the younger one feels deeply hurt because my husband spends no time with him. What can I do? I feel alone in this marriage. -- ALONE AND LONELY IN INDIANA

※ Word check

* cling to: be unwilling to get rid of sth, or stop doing sth ~을 그만두지 않으려고 하다

* strain: tension between people or organizations 긴장감

※ Suppose you are 'Abby' and try to give 'ALONE AND LONELY' advice.

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR ALONE AND LONELY: You ARE alone in this marriage. If you married Ralph thinking you could change the way he acted as a bachelor, that you would have companionship and your children would have an attentive father, you may have married the wrong man. If Ralph was happy and at ease, he would not be hiding out in the garage.

Before this goes any further, you and he need to have another frank talk because the status quo is not fair to you or the children. If it doesn't work, then it's time for family counseling, if only so your children won't blame themselves for your husband's shortcomings.

However, I don't expect him to change and neither should you. This is the way he was before you married him, and a leopard doesn't change his spots.

※ Word check

* status quo: the situation as it is now, or as it was before a recent change 현 상황

* a leopard doesn't change his spots: 제 버릇은 남 주지 못한다, 표범의 반점은 변하지 않는다 (본래 타고난 것은 고치기 어려운 법)

…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-…-

- Conflict ②

Woman who loves working resents talk of retirement

DEAR ABBY: I'm in my mid-60s and still work full-time. I love my work, not only because it pays well, but also for the good times I have with co-workers and the intellectual stimulation I get from solving problems. I also feel younger than my age. That may be because I have a purpose in life -- to get up early every morning, take my shower, put on my makeup and hurry to the office. At the end of the day, I feel fulfilled because I know I have done something worthwhile.

My problem is the tactless people who ask me when I'm going to retire. Sometimes I tell them that they will be the first to know if I decide to do so. Someone even told me that I should retire now " so I can begin to enjoy my life" ! I told her I don't have to retire to enjoy my life because I enjoy my life every day.

I don't know what their motives are in asking. At times I become so annoyed that I just look at the person and give a sweet smile -- just to shut him/her up. I don't want to be rude, but now and then I feel like telling them that it's none of their business. Abby, what is the best response to give these busybodies? -- IRRITATED OUT WEST

※ Word check

* tactless: saying or doing things that are likely to annoy or to upset other people 눈치 없이 말하는

* busybody: a person who is too interested in what other people are doing 오지랖 넓은 사람, 참견을 잘하는 사람

※ Suppose you are 'Abby' and try to give 'IRRITATED' advice.

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR IRRITATED: Give the person your standard " sweet smile" and say: " To me, retirement is a dirty word. Please don't use it in front of me again."

※ Word check

* dirty word: a thing or an idea that sby finds unpleasant or offensive 불경한 말, 남을 기분상하게 하는 말

☈ PART 2

Small talk and big discussions

According to American psychologist Brett Pelham’s theory of “implicit egotism,” people tend to gravitate toward names, people, places and things that they can associate with themselves. Pelham claimed that the name Dennis was represented 80 percent more than Walter or Jerry in the American Dentist Association list as an example underlining the relationship between a person’s name and their choice of occupation.

Even without such theories we all know that it’s human nature to be drawn to someone with whom we share things in common. Presidents are no different as they, too, are humans after all. President Lee Myung-bak hit it off well with his U.S. counterpart George W. Bush largely because of their Christian backgrounds. The two leaders held church services in the Blue House and Camp David on their respective visits. Despite setbacks in other areas of his presidency, Lee is credited highly in diplomacy due to his efforts to strike a rapport with other heads of state.

Despite his diplomatic sensibilities, Lee nonetheless might not find it so easy to strike the right chord with his younger U.S. counterpart Barack Obama when they meet next week. A clear generation gap cannot be avoided with Obama in his 40s and Lee in his 60s. They share little common ground in ideology and personal interests. President Lee may have scored points with his Super Bowl conversation starter when he talked with Obama, a known sports fan, on the phone in February. But what other topics he has in mind for further small talk remain doubtful.

One good topic for some presidential bonding between the two would be their mothers. The two leaders hold deeply fond memories of their deceased mothers, both single moms who shaped them through strong emphasis on education and bred confidence in their sons.

Lee confessed that he learned everything from his mother, a market vendor who always had the respect and trust of her fellow workers. Obama has made a similar confession, saying he would not be where he is today had it not been for his mother, crediting his open-mindedness, passion for change and compassion for the weak to his motherly mentor who worked as an anthropologist and social worker while studying and raising children.

The personal touch can be extremely powerful in summit meetings. Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher famously described former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev as someone she could “do business with” after their first meeting, and subsequently became an enthusiastic supporter of his reform drive. Many analysts credit their strong friendship for contributing to the end of the Cold War.

We just hope President Lee and President Obama can strike some kind of chord so they can smoothly work together to solve the load of urgent issues on the agenda.

※ Word check

* implicit egotism: 맹목적 자기 본위

* gravitate: 자연히 끌리다

* hit it off: 사이좋게 지내다

* rapport: 관계, 접촉

* strike the chord with: ~의 공감을 얻다

* counterpart: 상대방

* fond: 애틋한, 정다운

* deceased: 사망한, 고-

* vendor: 행상인

* Prime Minister: 총리

* Soviet: 소련

* do business with: 말이 통하는 사람

* agenda: 협의 사항

※ Comprehension Question

1. What is main subject in this article?

2. What was a good topic for some presidential bonding between Lee and Obama?

※ Discussion Question

1. When you talk with somebody, is the personal touch important? Tell us why you think so.

2. If you are President in Southern Korea and you have to serve Obama, how will you converse with him more harmoniously?

3. Now, let's guess common topics each other. For example, there are some topics like that hobby, habit, food, exam, and so on.

번호 TERM 제목

등록된 글이 없습니다.