The STAR

Weekly Magazine THE STAR

Weekly Topics [09-07-25] Turning off technology

2009.07.24 00:01 조회 수 : 9

TERM  

<Dear Abby>

- Conflict ①

Dad's intractable bigotry makes visits excruciating

DEAR ABBY: I would like to make my father's final years of life happy ones. The problem is, Dad is a bigot. He is loud, opinionated and verbally abusive to and about people. Visiting him is stressful because I know the conversation will, at some point, turn to how terrible a certain person, country or political persuasion is. He is ill-informed yet convinced he is right.

My father is also not willing to forgive anyone who has hurt him. He thrives on anger and hate. It saddens me that his last years are so rooted in unhappiness and negativity. I don't know how to create lasting, loving memories -- for both Dad and me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. -- OUT OF IDEAS IN NEW ORLEANS

※ Word check

* intractable: of a problem or a person very difficult to deal with 구제불능의, 처치하기 어려운

* bigotry: the state of feeling, or the act of expressing, strong, unreasonable beliefs or opinions 편협한 믿음, 고집불통

* excruciating: extremely painful or bad 괴롭히는, 고통스러운

* persuasion: a particular set of beliefs, especially about religion or politics 신념

* ill-informed: having or showing little knowledge of sth 잘 알지 못하는

* thrive on: enjoy or be successful in a situation or condition that other people would not like 곧잘 ~을 하다, ~을 잘 해내다

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR OUT OF IDEAS: Your impulse is noble, and I respect you for it. But your father didn't suddenly become the way he is. What you have described are the patterns of a lifetime.

You might have better luck if you limit your time with him, and when you visit and he goes off on a tangent, smile and say, " Dad, we get to spend so little time together -- let's talk about happy things."  If that doesn't improve this situation, you might be able to retrain him by saying, " Dad, if you're going to go on like this, then I can't stay." 

But please accept the fact that you are not going to change your father. Change has to come from within.

※ Word check

* go off on a tangent: 화제가 특정 방향으로 갑자기 빗나가다, 갑자기 궤도에서 벗어나다

------------------------------------------

- Conflict ②

Woman is curious to know details of beau's divorce

DEAR ABBY: I have recently started seeing a wonderful man who is divorced. It doesn't bother me. I know we all make mistakes. My friends are telling me I need to find out why his marriage ended, because it might signal potential problems to watch out for. I understand their logic.

The problem is, I don't want to appear nosy and, of course, I would be hearing only one side of the story. So should I ask him or not -- and if so, when and how? -- INQUIRING MINDS NEED TO KNOW

※ Word check

* beau: a woman's male lover or friend 남자친구, 애인

* nosy: too interested in things that do not concern you, especially other people's affairs 괜한 일에 참견하는, 참견 잘하는

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR INQUIRING: I see no harm in asking now. The perfect time to have done it was when he told you he was divorced. You don't have to be heavy-handed about it. Treat him to -- or cook him -- a nice dinner and afterward say, " So tell me how come a gorgeous, intelligent man like you is divorced. Your ex must have been out of her mind to let you go."  Then shut up and listen.

※ Word check

* heavy-handed: acting forcefully and without care and thought (태도가) 고압적인

☈ PART Ⅱ

Turning off technology

A man living in 1996 is approached by a woman from the future. He is excited when she proposes they engage in casual sex, but is less thrilled when she pulls out a headset and remote control. The man suggests they make love the old-fashioned way, only to be rebuffed by the woman for wanting to engage in an out-of-date and unhygienic activity. The scene from the 1993 film Demolition Man offered a glimpse of a dystopian, futuristic society.

Today, e-mail has long replaced handwritten letters, and playing video games at home saves one from unnecessary outdoor activity. In such a climate, virtual sex may not be a fiction of a far-fetched, faraway future after all.

Teens these days hang out on MySpace or Facebook rather than in homes and at playgrounds. The intimacy of physical contact is no longer a necessity for socializing, especially among the young generation born into the digital age, for whom a computer mouse was one of the first toys they played with.

Today s youths are digital natives, according to American education scholar Marc Prensky, while older generations are digital immigrants. Kids today naturally belong to the indigenous culture of technology. But the older generation has moved to a new, unfamiliar land where they must make an effort to adapt and assimilate to the digital world. But no matter how much they try, new technology will always be their second language. The thick accent of their old analog tongue will never be completely lost.

Eric Schmidt, the chief executive of Google, spelled out the generation gap in his commencement address at Carnegie Mellon University, in Pennsylvania. We got our news from newspapers, you get yours from blogs and tweets. ... We just didn‘t tell anyone about most embarrassing moments, but you record them and post them to Facebook and YouTube every day.

But offering a word of wisdom from someone who has seen both worlds, Schmidt advised college graduates to turn off computers and cell phones. You need to actually look at the people who are near you and around you, and decide that it is humans who ultimately are the most important thing to us. The motivations of life curiosity, passion, enthusiasm and solutions to life‘s challenges exist in the real world, not the cyber world.

The logic may sound ironic coming from someone who made us depend on Google more than our own minds for information, but we should take heed of Schmidt s warning against overreliance on digital technology.

The past ways of life memorizing phone numbers and jotting things down with pen and paper may in fact be the best firewall protection we have from random cyber attacks nowadays.

※ Word check

* rebuff: 거절하다

* unhygienic: 비위생적인

* dystopian: 반(反)유토피아의

* far-fetched: 부자연스러운

* intimacy: 친밀, 친한 사이

* indigenous: 토착의

* assimilate: 이해하다

* spelled out: 상세히 설명하다

* commencement address: 졸업식 축사

* take heed of: ~을 주의하다

* overreliance: 과도한 신뢰

※ Comprehension Question

1. What is the main subject in the article?  

2. Who is the man spelled out the generation gap?

※ Discussion Question

1. Do you agree to the article? And why do you think so?

2. How much have you depended on the digital technology? How long do you use        your computer, MP3, or cell phone?

3. Is it possible that you live without the digital technology?