The STAR

Weekly Magazine THE STAR

Weekly Topics [09-09-05] Hats off to Naro’s blastoff

2009.09.16 01:40 조회 수 : 119

TERM  

part 1

- Conflict ①

Nosy friend takes self-guided tour through woman’s purse

DEAR ABBY: Some friends and I shared a vacation house last month. While I was out hiking, a supposed friend, "Lynette," rummaged through my purse (which had been stashed in a closet) and made a non-emergency phone call on my cell. She didn't tell me about it. I found out on my own.

It's not that I mind her using my phone, but a purse is private, and I felt violated. Let me add that she also knew about an article I had packed in a zipped pouch that I keep in my beach bag. I don't know why she snooped through my stuff.

Am I wrong to be upset? And do you think this "friendship" is worth continuing? -- LIVID IN LEXINGTON, KY.

※ Word check

* rummage: move things around carelessly while searching for sth 뒤지다

* stash: store sth in a safe or secret place 보관하다

* snoop: find out private things about sb, especially by looking secretly around a place 뒤적거리다

DEAR LIVID: Are you wrong to be upset? No. And the friendship is only worth continuing if you set some boundaries, because Lynette appears not to understand the concept of privacy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

- Conflict ②

Girl hanging out with older boys is headed for trouble

DEAR ABBY: I am 19 years old and have known a girl I'll call Emma for a couple of years. She's 14 and like a member of my family -- a little sister. My parents joke that Emma is their second daughter.

Emma is an only child and lives with her mother. Her dad is an alcoholic who is currently serving time in prison. Lately Emma has been hanging out with a group of 18- and 19-year-old boys who let her drink and smoke pot with them. People say she's just " doing what all teens do," but I have never smoked or had a drink in my life.

Should I tell Emma's mother what's going on and risk losing our relationship, or should I wait to see if it's just a phase? I feel responsible, but don't know what to do. -- BIG SISTER IN OKLAHOMA

※ Word check

* be headed for: if you are heading for a particular situation, especially a bad one, it seems likely to happen ~로 향하다

* pot: marijuana 대마초, 마리화나

☞Abby's advice☜

DEAR BIG SISTER: Tell Emma's mother NOW. Because Emma's father is an alcoholic, she already has the predisposition to become one. The longer you procrastinate, the greater her chances of getting into serious trouble --and face it, she's already well on her way. The " boys" Emma is hanging out with are too old for her, and girls under the influence of alcohol and marijuana make mistakes that can affect the rest of their lives.

※ Word check

* predisposition: an inclination to something 경향, 성질

* procrastinate: keep leaving things you should do until later 늑장부리다, 꾸물거리다

--------------------------------------------------------------------

part2

Hats off to Naro’s blastoff

The 19th-century Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli discovered a long line on the surface of Mars while observing the planet through a telescope. The long line he saw might have been the Mariner Valley that stretches some 6,000 kilometers (3,728 miles) across the Red Planet. The news caused huge amounts of excitement on Earth as rumors spread that the line was in fact an artificial canal.

This lead to speculation that there was life on Mars. But it later turned out that the Italian word “canali,” meaning “line,” was mistranslated into English as “canal.”

Considering the speed of space science development today, the episode that took place in 1877 was nothing but an old folk tale from a bygone era.

Nevertheless, the existence of water on Mars, though short of the discovery of a canal, was later proved by a photo transmitted by a space probe sent to Mars 120 years later. The existence of water implies the possible existence of living organisms on the planet.

In space science, missions once considered preposterous are later achieved. Only a century after the publication of “From the Earth to the Moon” by Jules Verne, men took their first lunar steps.

The longing for unknown worlds and to go to places that seem impossible to reach have been a source of imagination for much of recorded human history.

Of course, just satisfying people’s curiosity wasn’t the only reason that an enormous amount of money and energy was poured into space exploration during the Cold War era.

The United States and the Soviet Union were engaged in a life-or-death grapple to win the space race. They did so because the technology for space development and that of military purposes were not mutually exclusive.

The technologies developed for space exploration were diverted to more pragmatic ones in private sector industries. Satellite broadcasting technology, which was once called “space relay,” and meteorological forecasts have developed on the back of research into space development.

For instance, freeze-dried foodstuffs, CT scans used for diagnosing diseases and endoscopy technology are all connected to work carried out initially with space in mind.

Though the Naro-1 successfully blasted off into outer space, the rocket failed to send the satellite into the precise orbit. But we don’t have to be disappointed. However cheesy it may sound, failure is indeed the mother of success.

South Korea entered space development in 1992 with the launch of its first experimental communication satellite, “Uribyeol 1.” It took only 18 years from that point to launch a rocket into outer space. It is praiseworthy that Korea has taken a big stride in space development in such a short time.

※ Word check

* Hats off to: 모자를 벗어 경의를 표한다, 대단하다

* blastoff: 발사

* canal: 운하

* folktale: 미신, 속설

* bygone: 과거의

* preposterous: 터무니없는

* grapple: 접전, 격투

* pragmatic: 실용적인

* space relay: 우주중계

* meteorological: 기상의

* endoscopy: 내시경 검사

* cheesy: 값 싼

* stride: 큰 걸음, 진보

※ Comprehension Question

1. What is the main subject in the article?

2. Why did the Naro-1 project fail?

3. How did the technologies developed for space exploration contribute to private sector industries?

※ Discussion Question

1. Did you watch the scene of the Naro's launch? What do you think about the failure of Naro-1 project?

2. Do you agree that the development of space is necessary for mankind? Why do you think so?

3. Do you believe the existence of alien? If they exist anywhere in the space, may they have intelligence like us? Tell us your thinking about alien.

※ Review today's Blooming-up

and Preview Term-paper for next regular meeting