This Weeks's Issues 2 : National
Doctors call off second strike plan
Mar 20, 2014 http://www.koreaherald.com
Edited by Mr. Young-gyun Han
The country’s largest group of medical doctors said Thursday that they would suspend a plan to stage a nationwide strike next week, following government negotiations on contentious medical policies.
The Korean Medical Association said that over 60 percent of its members voted against staging a second walkout and agreed to accept the government’s plan to allow telemedicine and for-profit hospital subsidiaries. Doctors launched a one-day strike last week in protest of the government’s new medical policies. They expressed concerns that the new policies would create financial difficulties for neighborhood doctors and ultimately accelerate the privatization of the medical sector.
But the two sides reached an agreement on Monday to launch a six-month telemedicine pilot program next month and introduce the telemedicine bill later. They also agreed to jointly form a consultative body to reduce the possible side effects of for-profit subsidiaries.
The KMA, however, left open the possibility of another strike.
“It is more of a postponement of the walkout plan than a cancellation. If the government unilaterally pushes for medical plans without accepting experts’ opinions, it will once again face opposition,” KMA president Roh Hwan-kyu said.
Although the doctors put their protest plan on hold, the two sides still remains at odds over other contentious issues. Doctors have demanded that the government expand their participation in a review committee in charge of deciding medical fees and policies.
Currently, the committee consists of 24 representatives ― eight insurance subscribers, eight medical service providers and eight public interest members. The public interest members, comprised of various figures such as scholars or civic activists, have been handpicked by the health ministry, letting the committee lean toward the government’s side, doctors claimed.
The ministry and doctors agreed to have equal numbers of subscribers and medical service providers in the committee, allowing doctors to handpick representatives of medical service providers. While doctors interpreted the rule change to mean handpicking “half of the total public interest members,” the government regarded it as “half of the half,” excluding four seats on the government’s side.
“Nothing is officially decided on the committee reform except that an equal number of insurance subscribers and doctors will be placed. (Doctors and the ministry) will continue having talks on the issue,” said Kwon Deok-cheol, the ministry’s healthcare policy director.
● strike [strīk] : [NOUN] to stop work in order to force an employer to comply with demands
● subsidiary [səbˈsɪdiˌeri] : [NOUN] owned or controlled by another company
● unilaterally [ˌju:nɪˈlætərəl] : [ADVERB] constituting or relating to a contract or engagement by which an express obligation to do or forbear is imposed on only one party
● handpick [hændˈpɪk] : [VERB] to choose (something or someone) carefully by yourself instead of letting someone else do it
1. What is the main idea of the article?
2. Doctors claimed strike for the following mainly three reason. First, healthcare privatization and disapproving for-profit hospital. Second, blocking telemedicine like cell-phone diagnosis. Last, reforming abnormal insurance system. What do you think about these three arguments?
3. Recently, striking is spreaded such as medical strike and railroad striking. Though each party has their reasonable reasons, lots of innocent citizens had experienced inconvenience. If you have anything, share your opinions.
|206||[14-09-13] No end in sight for Sewol bill dispute|
|205||[14-08-30] Pope says could not stay neutral on Sewol victims|
|204||[14-08-23] Nigerian students denied visit to Korea|
|203||[14-08-09]Officials Focus on E-Cigarette Ads Aimed at Youths|
|202||[14-07-26] Second Lotte World to face review over environmental issues|
|201||[14-07-19] Park, Xi raise concerns over Abe’s defense policy shift|
|200||[14-07-12] Joy and sadness about raising tobacco tax|
|199||[14-06-28] Controversy rises over teachers’ right to political freedom|
|198||[14-06-21] Children's mental risks rise with father's age, study says|
|197||[14-06-07] Daum, Kakao announce merger|
|196||[14-05-31] U.N. Panel Finds Crimes Against Humanity in North Korea|
|195||[14-05-17] Ferry disaster leaves three dead, 292 missing|
|»||[14-05-10] Doctors call off second strike plan|
|193||[14-05-03] 황금연휴로 인하여 레귤러를 하지 않았습니다.|
|192||[14-04-26] 일렉션 관계로 한 주 쉬었습니다.|
|191||[14-04-19] 중간고사로 인하여 레귤러를 쉬었습니다.|
|190||[14-04-12] More Korean universities offer English-only lectures|
|189||[14-04-05] 웰커밍데이로 인하여 레귤러를 쉬었습니다.|
|188||[14-03-29] Gravitational waves: have US scientists heard echoes of the big bang?|
|187||[14-03-22] For some college students, ‘F’ is better than ‘B’|